Sunday, May 12, 2013


Fish Out of Water
By Philip Pompetti

The sun rising over
The mountains. They
Are far off in
The distance from me
But I can still
See them clear
Enough.
The boat I am
On rocks steadily
And there are grey
Clouds off in
The distance
Red sky at night
Sailors delight,
Red sky in morning,
Sailors warning.
I have heard the
Weather reports
I have seen first-
Hand the power
Of the ocean.
I know what it
Is I am about to face
I know where I am
Set to go.
But amidst this
Internal uproar
Of fear of what 
I will soon face
There is a calm
That I cannot
Quite express.
My captain seems
Sure of hand
And quick of mind,
Caring underneath
His necessary
Stiffness and anger.
He will lead us
Both into the
Roiling, boiling sea
One last time.
The last five weeks
Have gone away in a blur
And I am worried
That our last trip out
Might be our last ever.
Thirty knot winds,
He says,
Ten foot seas.
Words I have already
Heard from the
Mouths of others
And the mouth of
Our ships radio.
Be prepared,
He says with
Just a grain of unease,
Be prepared
To set back the reel
And switch the hy-
Draulics over
When I say to.
I’m ready, Skip,
I know he hates 
That name. Ready
When you are,
One last time out,
One last day on
These great alaskan
Waters. One last
Trip before my
Summer work is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment