Thursday, May 16, 2013

Final words of one man's trench by Connor Deeks


Final words of one man’s trench by Connor Deeks

The darkness crumbles away,
Safety burning off like the misty morning,
It is the same old awakening as ever,
Only a live thing scurries at my boot,
A queer sardonic rat,
Cynical in his presence,
Inspiring in his bravery,
Droll rat, they would shoot you if they knew
Your treacherous sympathies,
Your indifference on trench occupancy.
Now you have touched this English foot,
You will do the same to a German soon,
For morning breaks from the East.
My friend, the torn fields of France are no place
For a rat.
What do you find appealing,
The lively company?
The firework show to my left and right
Begins,
A whistle blows,
Your friends have come to join us,
But while I turn and fire,
I see you holdfast, searching for my…

No comments:

Post a Comment