Thursday, May 16, 2013

Vocal cords of poetic verse by Connor Deeks


Vocal cords of poetic verse by Connor Deeks

When I am asked
How I began writing poems,
I talk about the indifference of education.

It was my last term of university,
A brilliant spring,
Everything dry and warm.

I sat in an old stone building
In a carelessly kept classroom,
But the arching fir trees were as deaf
As the ears of my sleeping classmates.
“You can leave if don’t want to be here,”
My professor rang out,
Loud as the clock tower in the quad,
Nestled next to the building with the old clock.
No one left.
Nothing was crass or indifferent,
Except those trees out the window
And that sun blaring endless commercials
For summer holidays indoors.


I sat in an old stone building
In a carelessly kept classroom,
The dullness of winter surrounded,
And placed my thoughts
In the mouth of language
In the vocal cords of poetic verse,
The expression I never had.
_________________________________________________________
 

Poem of the Day: When I Am Asked

Posted: Mon, 13 May 2013 00:00:00 -0600
When I am asked
how I began writing poems,
I talk about the indifference of nature.

It was soon after my mother died,
a brilliant June day,
everything blooming.

I sat on a gray stone bench
in a lovingly planted garden,
but the day lilies were as deaf
as the ears of drunken sleepers
and the roses curved inward.
Nothing was black or broken
and not a leaf fell
and the sun blared endless commercials
for summer holidays.

I sat on a gray stone bench
ringed with the ingenue faces
of pink and white impatiens
and placed my grief
in the mouth of language,
the only thing that would grieve with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment