Sunday, May 12, 2013

Amy- By Heidi Curtis

Amy

It was a chilly crisp October morning
I came into this world
I came from you

The doctors new right away
something wasn't right
My heart half there

They told you I wouldn't make it overnight
but in the morning I was still there
and the next morning gave you hope

You looked at me with such love
gentle words, kind smiles
you offered me your breast

I was safe, at home

18 days,
that's how long I lived
18 wonderful days

I remember the night you came to me
After I visited your dreams to say goodbye
You found me in my crib, cold

I remember my father holding you
both of you in tears
mourning me, your child

I want you to know
I stuck around and stayed in your arms
I tried to give you strength

Strength no mother should ever know
but you found it
faced with loss and a tiny coffin

_____________________________________________________________________________


http://www.poetryfoundation.org/features/audio?show=Poem%20of%20the%20Day




No comments:

Post a Comment