Sunday, May 12, 2013

The early bird gets the worm? By Connor Kaplan



The early bird gets the worm? By Connor Kaplan
So the early bird gets the worm. Really?
Today I was walking to get food and
noticed a flock of petite birds pecking
the ground, like a chicken does when seeds of
corn and other plants are dropped to feed them.
Then I thought about the ye old saying.    Solid
“The early bird gets the worm”, but
the birds I was staring at were getting
worms and other bugs that littered the grass.
This was not morning, it was not early.
Maybe the saying originated
from  an observation that early day
had worms crawling, slithering all about.  Nice!
This is most likely because at morning
the ground is wet due to the fog at night.
So my observation of birds getting
the worm during the day is different.   Thematically strong but a tad cliche
So should the saying change or does it have
a new meaning. Like wake up early or
seizing opportunities before that
guy you know will even think about it.
As a bird can get the worm if it sees
water on the ground because bugs tend to.    Sounds like a science lesson
come out to the water source like a plant
moving to the greatest place for sunlight.
Pecking towards the cold damp ground, lifting off
to fly away from a large predator.
Finding the worms first only to be joined
by the rest of flock squawking about.
So am I the night crawler or the bird?  Ballin final line, check
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poem of the Day: The Hen Swallows a Worm or Slug

Posted: Fri, 10 May 2013 00:00:00 -0600
We scratch at the backyard together
through leaf mould, worm casings she kicks off
in a fan behind her. I use a stick
to dig, to find for her what she’s shown me
near the roots, at the edge of a step—sticky
slug on the underside of a hosta’s leaf.
How complicated she is and how resigned.
Between her beak and my outstretched hand,
the worm’s writhing. Then the long slick going
down. It fills the throat, like all that’s swallowed.
        Her head chucks it back,
        for the worm again dark.
        The hen’s pupil dilates.
        She wends and follows.

Her queries, sighs, low gurgles, the hastening
click of her nails on pavement then hungry
again into the grass. Grubs are larger
than pale yellow larvae I prize from inside
chestnuts. These mucousy blind wanderers
she eats right from my palm. Nevertheless I am
repulsed by my husband’s embrace. I turn
now from his thick belly, breasts, his interests.
A body I had clambered over, loved.
I scrabble, struggle. I cover myself.
        Another sticky truth dug up
        that I must re-bury—
        sorry on hands and knees,
        hungry and wary.

Source: Poetry (October 2009).


No comments:

Post a Comment