Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Life that Could Have Been by Joey Ng


A Life that Could Have Been by Joey Ng

The California breeze rolls through straw
And stalks of brown shagged carpet,
Carrying the salted aroma of
Pacific ocean essence.

Ants march along in a line over
The periwinkle picnic cloth,
Held down on one end by a horseshoe
Made of recycled cans of orange paint.

Like luscious bunches of grapes on the vine
Stuffed into silk socks to endure the frost,
Or Kareem Abdul Jabar saving a
Calico cat from a naked pine tree.

I sip a pina colada after
My evening meal of oxtail soup
As I peer over the sea to
African safari adventures.
I pluck a peacocks feather and dip
Into my ink well, ebony purple.

I send a letter to Mohammed and
The prophets of old, carried by a
Mysterious van of dinosaur bones,
6000 years old without a doubt.

The train wreck showers cans of condensed milk
For which I put my can opener to use.
One dollop and I sip my coffee
As I see what life can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment