Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Life that Could have Been- by Heidi Curtis

The Life that could have been

Mornings I eat eggs benedict
my favorite meal
I live in Urban Southern California
kitchen painted Periwinkle
I'm loaded

Kareem Abdul Jabbar my neighbor
let me borrow his can opener

Sitting by the pool
fresh grapes
pina colada
mmmmmmmm

It's time for our family picnic
getting dressed
clothes, socks, shoes
I get into my Mystery Van
I've always liked Scooby Doo

Over the river I see
a herd of Calico cats
fleeing from a train-wreck
on the radio someone is quoting the prophet Muhammad

we eat and play horse shoe
ants take leftovers
we are as big as dinosaurs

Back into my van
enjoying the newly installed brown shag carpet
remember the can of green paint!
remember the project

Get a cup of Joe
starting the safari room
peacock feathers, zebra print, savannah backdrops
the ceiling painted as the sky

Jupiter and her moon Callisto
twinkle brightly

She loves her room
having money and time
is a dream
of the life that could have been.


No comments:

Post a Comment