Monday, May 13, 2013

The life that could have been by Connor Deeks

The life that could have been by Connor Deeks

Could I have been a painter scooping paint
from a can of paint, that silver cylinder filled by Rodda?
No, because I am a son born into privilege.

Could I have been a barista at the local Starbucks,
pouring the regular coffee for the average business man?
No, because I am a student at University.

Could I have been a house mom,
using a can opener to open Spaghetti-Os for my son?
No, because I am a man destined to work.

Could I have been a horse trainer,
Replacing the horse shoes on Neverlosearace?
No, because I only like cats and dogs.

Could I have been a zookeeper,
tending to the peacock feathers on the zoo paths.
No, because I don't trust flightless birds

Could I have been a first responder,
Helping those fresh off a train wreck.
No, because I can't stand the sight of blood.

Could I have been a Vegas piano player,
Suited in periwinkle and sprarkles.
No, because I am not one for the arts.

Could I have been a Mexican resort attendant,
Serving the countless Americans ordering PiƱa Coladas?
No, because I am one of those Americans.

Could I have been an Egyptian slave,
serving fresh grapes to my pharoah?
No, because I live in the now.

Could I have been a cartoonist,
Drawing the Mystery Van page after page?
No, because I like the Looney Toons better.

Could I have been a butcher,
slicing my favorite meat for neighborhhod buyers?
No, because I don't like harming animals.

Could I have been a sweatshop worker,
Folding pairs of socks for sale in the U.S?
No, because I buy those socks at Foot Locker.

Could I have been a studio executive,
Enjoying the sun of Southern California?
No, because I am a Portland boy, born and bred.

Could I have been a Lowe's salesman,
pushing brown shag carpet on new homeowners?
No, because I hate Lowe's and would never work for them.

Could I have been a basketball player,
great as the great Kareem Abdul Jabaar?
No, because I lack the height, skill, and desire.

Could I have been an ant,
crawling on the ground in search of food at a picnic?
No, because I can't lift ten times my body weight.

Could I have been a calico cat,
Alive but struggling in a big puddle in an alley?
No, because if I were a cat I would be safe in a home.

Could I have been the prophet Muhammed,
spreading my religion from the Middle East to the African Safari?
No, because I am a christian.

Could I have been an alien on Jupiter,
staring up at Callisto and wondering what it was?
No, because there is no life on Jupiter.

Could I have been a dinosaur,
stomping around millions of years ago?
No, because I don't believe in dinosaurs.

Could I have been starving in the 1950s,
drinking condensed milk because it was cheaper?
No, because I like milk too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment