Sunday, May 12, 2013

Among the Rocks by Connor



Among the Salty Rocks by Connor
There is nothing more exciting than the
feeling of wonder when in a field of
rocks that are the size of basketball to
the size of mini vans or busses.
trekking through the boulders when I look down
and decided this is where I’m going
to explore, to turn over every
movable rock to uncover its dark
mysterious contents. Each rock hold
different bounty, from life to nothing.

Near the water’s algae and mollusk cloaked
coast holds the most vibrant treasures under.
Trying not to slip I trek through the tide
looking for crabs and other goodies that
might fuel my bold, inquisitive nature.
As I pick up one rock I find nothing.
So I move to another to see a
fish franticly sprint away from me, but
how did a fish fit underneath a rock?
So the search for more wonder continues.
I find a large crab the size of my hand.
As I stare in wonder that it sits still
I try and catch it but fail as it slips
under another rock. So I pick up
rock after rock, always putting them back.
Eventually the mighty beast is trapped.
I the hunter have hunted the sly prey.
But then I hear a roar and see a wave
crashing into the tide pool, and just like
that the lucky prey escapes with its life.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Poem of the Day: Among the Rocks

Posted: Tue, 07 May 2013 00:00:00 -0600
Oh, good gigantic smile o’ the brown old earth,
      This autumn morning! How he sets his bones
To bask i’ the sun, and thrusts out knees and feet
For the ripple to run over in its mirth;
      Listening the while, where on the heap of stones
The white breast of the sea-lark twitters sweet.

That is the doctrine, simple, ancient, true;
      Such is life’s trial, as old earth smiles and knows.
If you loved only what were worth your love,
Love were clear gain, and wholly well for you:
      Make the low nature better by your throes!
Give earth yourself, go up for gain above!
 
By Robert Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment