Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Man at his Mothers Funeral By Ellyssa Pearce


It’s raining and they are in a cemetery.
A circle of people surround a box
hovering above a hole. A mound of
dirt sits next to the circle. They hold flowers
and the man in black holds a book. They can’t
see her but she is there. Asleep? They could
say that. Nobody knows what to say but
 he knows. The one standing in jeans and a
 jacket closest to the casket knows. The man
 in black asks for a voice. The one in jeans
 and a jacket remembers. He remembers
and speaks. I remember her sitting on
the porch in her rocking chair, inviting
me to play cards when she knows I should be
 in school. I think back on the conversations
about our country, the family, and
what she loved to do when she was my age.
 We laughed even when she was lying in
 bed with a nurse at her side. The young cry
 knowing what has befallen their loved elder.
 But he does not. Not to be strong for his
children but because he does not think she
is gone. She’s not gone. She lives in albums
and in favorite objects she left behind.
To me she lives in the playing cards,
 a rocking chair and the laughing we once shared.
 He nods his head and throws in a rose.

Just an afterthought to go along but
Perhaps remembering is the key to
Keep oneself breathing in the minds of us. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Men at My Father’s Funeral

BY WILLIAM MATTHEWS
The ones his age who shook my hand   
on their way out sent fear along   
my arm like heroin. These weren’t   
men mute about their feelings,
or what’s a body language for?

And I, the glib one, who’d stood
with my back to my father’s body
and praised the heart that attacked him?   
I’d made my stab at elegy,
the flesh made word: the very spit

in my mouth was sour with ruth
and eloquence. What could be worse?   
Silence, the anthem of my father’s   
new country. And thus this babble,   
like a dial tone, from our bodies.

1 comment:

  1. She’s not gone. She lives in albums
    and in favorite objects she left behind.
    To me she lives in the playing cards,
    a rocking chair and the laughing we once shared.
    He nods his head and throws in a rose.

    I love these lines, how you say she is alive in albums and things she left behind. It gives a sentimental feeling, a positive outlook at a time of sorrow. I think its also really relevant to how people actually feel, how they try to feel at least, to think of the good instead of the bad. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete