Sunday, April 21, 2013

I remember Yahtzee by Lauren Kahle


I remember nights of playing Yahtzee
With my mom, dad, and brother, and sometimes
The neighbor girl would join and play with us
But she cheated at every game we played
But somehow my mom always won; so smart
Even though it is just a game of chance
I remember Red Hot Blues, the flavor
So perfect and spicy, but good for you
We ate them all up, sometimes with salsa
I remember Mom playing piano
And singing her heart out, the dog sang too
It was  a beautiful harmony, with
My mom’s strong voice and my dog’s funny squeals
And the familiar tune that she played

I remember sneaking out, smoking bowls
In the back while my parents were asleep
And burned my teenage brain cells, lots of them
Staying up late watching futurama
With my big brother, and sometimes that same
Neighbor girl that used to cheat at board games
The side of the house was the “party spot”
As my dad used to fondly call it
My mom would come in and ask if we’ve smoked
And we couldn’t help but to start laughing
Surely giving ourselves away, futile

I remember South Park, not because of
Cartman, or Kyle, Stan, or Kenny, Butters,
But because of laughing with my brother
BY JACOB SAENZ
I remember nights of playing
Lotería w/Mom & Big Manny
as a way to learn the Spanish they spoke
to each other but not to their kids
who caught on to certain words
like cállatecervezachicharrón;
little nuggets I ate up
like the pinto beans we used
instead of the blue chips
Mom kept in her Bingo bag
she carried every Friday night
when her & Tia Shirley
went to the Moose Lodge,
her hair & coat reeking
w/the smoke of all who lost.
    
I remember El Borracho,
the man always holding a bottle
& about to fall over yet never does
like Big Manny stumbling home
late at night after a payday,
breath & belly full of beer,
who one time took a piss
in our bedroom.

I remember La Garza,
not for the heron it is
but cousin Tony & his kids,
nights of sleepovers & pizza,
PlayStation on a 40-inch TV,
the night he & Lil Jesse sneaked
bumps of coke in the bathroom
& I rubbed numb my teenage teeth.

I remember El Musico,
not the chubby man clutching his guitarra
but my brother Dave loading crates
of records & a dual turntable case
like a coffin into the back of a van,
the same set I hit my back on at ten
when I fell out of the top bunk bed.

But I prefer to remember La Sirena
back when her breasts were free
of the seashells she now holds
to cover them in water so blue
cold, her scales so red,
her name clung to the tongue
like dulce de leche.


No comments:

Post a Comment