Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ekphrastic poem, Wheat Field with Cypresses: Donovan Acuna


“A Wheat Field, with Cypresses”

The sky begins and ends in the same
place but you don’t know where that might be.
The blues fade to white and the white to blue.
The brushstrokes embody the clouds.
The swirls resemble their freedom.
From left to right they start then up
the canvas they move. Bits of gold thrown in
the mixture of the skies royal blue.
I would say I see green in the air
but you’d call me color blind, I swear
I am not but people beg to differ
whether the trees are moving or not.
I feel like the whole painting is twirling
with a constant lean to the left and
opposing strokes on the right of it.
The mountains resemble waves and boulders
all one color though. But definitely
a sight to behold. They live among each
other, rounding themselves among the wheat.
The vibrant, yellow acrylic lowly
glows in comparison to the green.
The green is spirited screaming life.
Not even the purest of whites are
able to outshine the green or even
be found in the painting. It’s a medley
of colors and all their various
shades that add depth to flat piece of art.
I saw this scenery when I went spelunking
and it inspired me to paint this.
What’s simple and everywhere
cannot be replicated with such
finesse that even the bushes spoke.
I see wheat last and their neighbors first.


No comments:

Post a Comment