Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Rude Painting by Kathleen Fellows

Abstract Painting by Peter D

Literal fire is too obvious.
It would make this paint unnoticeable.
It’s challenging not to think of fire
or of trees burning in three different ways.
What makes this artwork so noticeable?
A trio of basic colors splattered
over charred parchment that could be curling.

Please help me get away from the fire.
Everything on it is shouting fire.

The painting is now laughing at my head.
Yellow dots hysterically point at me
and splashes to the orange to tell him
I stupidly cannot figure them out.
The red want in on the conversation
and tries to pull at Yellow’s attention.

They all have to be hanging upside down.
They must have been dripped and smeared across,
or only smeared. I don’t get it at all.
Now thoughts are the only thing upside down.
Please tell me what struggles this represents,
besides those that come with looking
directly at this bright pile of paint
or I will assume about the artist:

A recovering pyromaniac,
Peter throws himself into a hobby
Maybe this one will be better than dance
or those terrible violin lessons,
having to drive all the way across town,
just to realize his lesson was cancelled
but he still has to pay the instructor.

1 comment:

  1. over charred parchment that could be curling.
    I like this line because it isn't too obvious, it took me a minute to realize what was being said.

    -Melissa Campana

    ReplyDelete