Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Imitation #4: Donovan Acuna



Poem of the Day: Men at My Father’s Funeral

The ones his age who shook my hand
on their way out sent fear along
my arm like heroin. These weren’t
men mute about their feelings,
or what’s a body language for?

And I, the glib one, who’d stood
with my back to my father’s body
and praised the heart that attacked him?
I’d made my stab at elegy,
the flesh made word: the very spit

in my mouth was sour with ruth
and eloquence. What could be worse?
Silence, the anthem of my father’s
new country. And thus this babble,
like a dial tone, from our bodies. 

William Matthews
_____________________________________

Men at a funeral of someone my Aunt knew

Held heads filled with glistening gray hair
I thought might make them like Mr. Rogers.
The ones I made eye contact with smiled
at a boy they had never met or
even would. They had no time for that.

These were men quite mute about it
all. About everything they were
feeling that day. Even the good.
Perhaps this person was their brother.
Or more dear it could be a mother.

Body language did say a bit though.
It was all the elongated waves.
The slouching struts into the kitchen
where memories ran amuck igniting
whatever life was left in the area.

 And I, the distant one who’d stood
with my back to the wall every
minute awaiting departure.
I thought I knew only one person
attending but I was wrong. Ladies
maybe aunts of the dead squeezed my cheeks.

Patting my head and judging my height they
informed me how I once ran in diapers
across their floor. But that too early
for me too remember. Like it’s too
early for me to pry about this
funeral I wish I could escape.

I found an escape tossing apples
to an old man in the front yard
who told me to stay happy and eat fruit.
Donovan Acuna

No comments:

Post a Comment