Sunday, May 19, 2013

I Dreamed That I Was Rich By Jimmy Chen

I Dreamed That I Was Rich
By Jimmy Chen


I dreamed that I was rich, money everywhere
Making senseless purchases, no matter
How relentless my past self
Would be.

Green, the beautiful color of cash
Proves to be the best
Stacked high and mighty
Over eyes of envy 
Like a mountain of pure gold.

I dreamed that I was rich
In the taunt of my desires
Why must I awaken 
To the feeling of Happiness 
Leeched from my body.



I Dreamed That I Was Old

BY STANLEY KUNITZ
I dreamed that I was old: in stale declension   
Fallen from my prime, when company
Was mine, cat-nimbleness, and green invention,   
Before time took my leafy hours away.

My wisdom, ripe with body’s ruin, found   
Itself tart recompense for what was lost
In false exchange: since wisdom in the ground   
Has no apocalypse or pentecost.

I wept for my youth, sweet passionate young thought,
And cozy women dead that by my side   
Once lay: I wept with bitter longing, not   
Remembering how in my youth I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment