Monday, May 13, 2013

When I Am Asked By Kayla Hall

When I am asked
What do you want to do?
I know they mean a specific job
but ultimately I want to be:
the kindness others think is gone,
have a moment of bliss, pure ecstasy,
to be spontaneous, trips to anywhere and everywhere.

What do I want to do with my life?
I want to help the lives of others,
I want to walk a mile
in the shoes of someone who doesn't have any,
too find homes for animals,
protect the wildlife,
to stand for something.

What do I want to do?
I want to see the wonders of the world,
capture images others won't see,
to design my house.

When I am asked
I shrug my shoulders.
"You have some time to figure it out"
is all they say in return.
As if a job is all that matters,
a job is the meaning of life.
I believe being alive is the meaning,
the meaning of life.

                                           

When I Am Asked

BY LISEL MUELLER
When I am asked   
how I began writing poems,   
I talk about the indifference of nature.   

It was soon after my mother died,   
a brilliant June day,   
everything blooming.   

I sat on a gray stone bench   
in a lovingly planted garden,   
but the day lilies were as deaf   
as the ears of drunken sleepers   
and the roses curved inward.   
Nothing was black or broken   
and not a leaf fell   
and the sun blared endless commercials   
for summer holidays.   

I sat on a gray stone bench   
ringed with the ingenue faces   
of pink and white impatiens   
and placed my grief   
in the mouth of language,   
the only thing that would grieve with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment