Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Clutch by Ayla Rogers


The Clutch by Ayla Rogers

When they ask me
Why I write so many poems,
I talk about the impermanence of man.

It was soon after my brother died,
A fine summer’s eve,
Streetlamps glowing.

A sat on a sooty curb
Outside a well-loved venue,
But the doorman was as deaf
As the ears of the drummer inside,
And everyone just standing there.
No one jumped or shouted,
And not a heart beat
And the speakers blared endless ballads
For departed singers.

I sat on a sooty curb
Wrought with stubborn romanticism, bitter fugue
Of blue and yellow bottles
And channeled my love
Into the clutch of my life’s manuscript,
The only vice that would receive me.  

                                                                                                                                                           
BY LISEL MUELLER
When I am asked   
how I began writing poems,   
I talk about the indifference of nature.   

It was soon after my mother died,   
a brilliant June day,   
everything blooming.   

I sat on a gray stone bench   
in a lovingly planted garden,   
but the day lilies were as deaf   
as the ears of drunken sleepers   
and the roses curved inward.   
Nothing was black or broken   
and not a leaf fell   
and the sun blared endless commercials   
for summer holidays.   

I sat on a gray stone bench   
ringed with the ingenue faces   
of pink and white impatiens   
and placed my grief   
in the mouth of language,   
the only thing that would grieve with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment