Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Quivering Gains by Ayla Rogers

 Quivering Gains by Ayla Rogers
(A second imitation of “When I Am Asked”
By Lisel Mueller. How…fitting.)

 When they ask me
How I write so many poems,
Why I contemplate my most mundane moods
In such extended and eloquent verse,

How I twist every platitude to nuance
With a single stroke of the pen,
Slip of the tongue,
Caress of sick sweet flesh--

I always move to counter--It seems the salient query:How could I abstain?
How can my readers, my lovers, my dearest critics
Do otherwise?

It was the day they told me to be quiet
That I vowed never to listen
To men who tell me I talk too much,
Or too loudly,
Or too brashly in public.

It was the day they brought me whiskey
When I’d asked for water,
And water when I pleaded for wine.

When I heard myself say “thank you,”
And puzzled at the source of sound,
I couldn’t feel resound within.

My body and the air both growing thin,
And thinner, from the nights spent skipping dinner
And the mornings, checking locks on doors.

Cocooned in recycled linens,
Checking battered skin for sores,
Searching rooms for notes and letters,
Left entombed for something better.

I’d bury my head and try to recall it,
But only the echo remains.
Like reverberation from an atom split,
And quivering for gains.  

No, I will not be silent.

                                                                                                                                              

BY LISEL MUELLER
When I am asked   
how I began writing poems,   
I talk about the indifference of nature.   

It was soon after my mother died,   
a brilliant June day,   
everything blooming.   

I sat on a gray stone bench   
in a lovingly planted garden,   
but the day lilies were as deaf   
as the ears of drunken sleepers   
and the roses curved inward.   
Nothing was black or broken   
and not a leaf fell   
and the sun blared endless commercials   
for summer holidays.   



No comments:

Post a Comment