Wednesday, May 15, 2013

How I Began to Dance by Kimberly Stutevoss


How I Began to dance by Kimberly Stutevoss

When I am asked
How I began to dance
I talk about my mother

She had dance as a child
All the way through college
The most elegant ballerina
Gliding through the air

As the black swan,
Her most important part
She was the black swan herself
Jete-ing through the air
And spinning with her 36 fouettes

She took me to my first lesson
But because of her I continued
I want to dance just like her
As elegant
As charming
And everything else

I danced through the years
Twirling and gliding
It was how I communicated
My own body language
Every look was a hello
And every reach was a goodbye

I danced for years
And to this day I miss it
Missing my main way of communication
Showing my true feelings
Through the lyrics and moves

When I am asked
How I began to dance
I talk about my mother 
_______________________________________________________

Poem of the Day: When I Am Asked

BY LISEL MUELLER
When I am asked   
how I began writing poems,   
I talk about the indifference of nature.   

It was soon after my mother died,   
a brilliant June day,   
everything blooming.   

I sat on a gray stone bench   
in a lovingly planted garden,   
but the day lilies were as deaf   
as the ears of drunken sleepers   
and the roses curved inward.   
Nothing was black or broken   
and not a leaf fell   
and the sun blared endless commercials   
for summer holidays.   

I sat on a gray stone bench   
ringed with the ingenue faces   
of pink and white impatiens   
and placed my grief   
in the mouth of language,   
the only thing that would grieve with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment