Thursday, May 2, 2013

Best story poem by Connor Deeks


Night in Africa (best story poem) by Connor Deeks

 

The 1986 Suzuki Samurai rattles

To a halt on a dusty

Bumpy road in the middle of

Our long journey from England

To Cameroon, we remember all

The fun times we had as

We sit in the darkest night

Surrounded by the darkest people in

The darkest country on the darkest

Continent in the world. They surround.

It may cost me my life to leave

The car, it might cost me my life

To stay in the car. Nigeria

Is a violent country filled with

The un-violent violent,

It’s about religion of course.

I step out and they notice;

Some get closer, but no one speaks.

I walk into the crowd, fearful…

I spring from my feet and start

to shout and to cheer.

Hundreds follow my lead.

From cheers I go into a U-S-A

Chant; everyone follows suit.

From U-S-A I go into a O-S-U

Chant; everyone follows suit.

From hostility to follow-the-leader

In a matter of seconds,

In a place where the one rule is

Never drive at night,

I changed the end of my life

Into the defining and most memorable

moment of my life.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment