Monday, May 6, 2013

Please, I beg, Return and Return Again! by Kimberly Coverly


Please, I beg, Return and Return Again!

The growl of an engine, trembling ground,
Aroma of musky exhaust wafts in,
Strangling sensory neurons to sense,
The compassion that follows this car’s scent,
Please, I beg, return and return again!

Two pools of water in the darkness, bright,
Shine from his face and look fearful tonight,
The harm is present but she feels no pain,
Summer is theirs, no one can take away,
Please, I beg, return and return again!

Cold night’s breeze, like a kiss on my soft cheek,
Wind whispering in my ear the secret,
To connecting his heart and mine with twine,
Hard to tear apart in the month of June,
Please, I beg, return and return again!

Vibrating snare drums are close to my brain,
Responses to music in the garage,
Signals that fun is on the horizon,
Tempo and tune that meant so much to me,
Please, I beg, return and return again!

Rainbow dribbles under my eager chin,
Frost shavings touching the tip of my tongue,
Pineapple, guava, mango, and cherry,
Gifts from those shiny plastic bottles,
Please, I beg, return and return again!

Lust, that lingered, heavy, like autumn mist,
Seasonal feelings that faded with time,
Embraces that are distant memories,
Affection that should have spanned the decades,
Please, I beg, return and return again.

 _________________________________________________________________________________

O Best of All Nights, Return and Return Again by James Laughlin

How she let her long hair down over her shoulders, making a love cave around her face. Return and return again.
How when the lamplight was lowered she pressed against him, twining her fingers in his. Return and return again.
How their legs swam together like dolphins and their toes played like little tunnies. Return and return again.
How she sat beside him cross-legged, telling him stories of her childhood. Return and return again.
How she closed her eyes when his were open, how they breathed together, breathing each other. Return and return again.
How they fell into slumber, their bodies curled together like two spoons. Return and return again.
How they went together to Otherwhere, the fairest land they had ever seen. Return and return again.
O best of all nights, return and return again.

No comments:

Post a Comment