Thursday, May 9, 2013

Leaves of Gas (Portfolio)

Oh Gosh by Peter Gidlund

Abhishek remains in class until the bell,
endlessly transcribing his disciplinary tome
onto the obsolete chalkboard.
"Atlantis is a fictional state."
"Atlantis is a fictional state."
"Atlantis is a fictional state."
"John Locke would have validated me,
Mr. Biespiel doesn't know anything about fictional countries!"
young Abby pondered as he trotted to cello practice.
On the way there, he became lost.
In a desert.  There was a mermaid that offered counsel,
but he brushed her off, as mermaids don't know anything of deserts.
After days of trekking through the sand,
he came upon a great wooden lighthouse.
On the door, there was no handle, but a fist sized opening.
Abby took the paint can and can opener,
lodged the bendable straw in the opening,
and THUGAROOOO.
It was brillant, the IRS would never be able to track him down,
he ate too much food and left multiple false trails of lasagna drippings in his wake.
Once Abby had gained entrance into the Hawaiian palace,
under the portrait of King Henry the VIII,
Obama was waiting, laughing like a madman.
"Gotcha!" Barry was too sly to be thrown off a simple trail in the desert.
Inside the sand bucket the telephone rang.
The earthquake cause the icicle to fall, impaling the kitten.
Adjusting the sprinklers, he was the hero Gotham needed,
as his home exploded into a baguette.
Abhishek flew his kite.




The People of the Starfish by Peter Gidlund
The People of the Starfish had many
accomplishments, and made sure to announce
their triumphs in the star shaped plaza in Starfish Forum.
“We, The People of the Starfish, have made
incredible strides: we have cured many
diseases, our kin are all literate
in Starfishian, and we are the
World Champions in Starfishball. 
Clearly, The People of the Starfish are
supreme, and we give all the glory to The Starfish.”
The Starfish lay on its ornate throne. 
“The Starfish is most displeased! 
We must work harder! 
We must strive for more! 
Our efforts must be doubled!
We must purge ourselves of the irreverent!”
The People of the Starfish conquered many nations. 
The Alliance for the Rhino had fallen long ago. 
The Kingdom of the House Cat had been enslaved. 
The Court of the Owl had been massacred. 
The Plate of the Pancakes had been swallowed.
All that opposed The People of the Starfish
was the meek League of the Meerkat.

As the troops assembled, tanks shone in the sun,
and Destroyers stood idle, a figure came stumbling out of the forest.
“Stop, stop, stop!  You must not follow through with your plan!
I have had a vision!  The Starfish knows!”
Barry the Bear had caught the attention of the mighty legion.

“In my dream, I was in the stream,
looking for some food.
I snagged a trout, plopped it under my snout,
And I was a rather content dude.
On my way to my cave, I spotted the red tailed knave,
Knox the Fox had taken my Thelonious Monk cassette.
I loved those songs, I loved to sing along,
And I was cross until Knox the Fox was dead.

I followed that crook, past his nook,
As he scampered to the Pita Pit.
I wanted justice and he wanted hummus,
I wrung his neck and he squirmed a bit,
and no one ever touched my jazz collection again.
Knox the Fox was put into a box, buried 'neath a mound o' rocks,
so this is where the parable must end.”

Barry the Bear displayed a pleased visage.
The Star in the sky couldn't compare to the star in his eye.
“What was that?  That had nothing to do with
The Starfish, or The Meerkat, or our invasion!”
Barry the Bear crumpled his brow,
And explained with a quite fierce growl,
“I said I had a vision, I didn’t say it applied.
Not everything revolves around you, you know!”

The battalion seized and arrested Barry the Bear
And 50 years later he croaked in the electric chair.
The People of the Starfish quickly
demolished the League of the Meerkat.
The Starfish lay on its ornate throne.

Butcher Shop by Peter Gidlund

I trotted into the butcher's office.
Two indistinguishable men columned the counter. 
Wearing faces with no details, they eyed my eyes.
Their holey shirts left nothing to the imagination,
especially in such a hot, humid, holy place,
effectively displaying their defensive, meated rotundity.

I did not know why I chose to browse,
among the shelves of piggies and cows,
surveying the pryamids of roast beef
and the missiles of gristle.
Upon whiffing and sniffing a carnal scent,
I abruptly had a reactionary taste for salad.
The butcher caught my gunning,
raised the most stern of brows, as if to say,
"What?  No good?  These chops speak for themselves."
And they did.  I bought half a pound of mutton,
and that night I ate half a pound of mutton.
In the morn I spent half the month's work on his craft
and I never looked back.  His blood was my blood,
from then on I was connected to that maestro
from his cuts and feats of meat.

I took my girl to the cinema that night.
We saw a bland film, about a bland man,
he did some bland things, but we weren't really watching.
Once the credits rolled, we rolled over to Geno's.

My vegan girlfriend  ordered a bruschetta,
followed by a costly ailoli,
with a mushroom mango pate.
I ate many things,  but there was no food.

Chuck the Butcher had captivated my senses.
Like a lover's embrace, I could not forget.
The primal stench of sun glazed flesh,
tags and signs that had me yearn for yesteryear,
a nostalgia of a timeless deli,
where nothing is yielded to the meat.
the  dripping juices on my face,
that made me admit I wished I had a bib.

In his primeval carnarium, Chuck ground through
his timeless job, making his meats,
staking his steaks.  An apricot tart could
hardly compare to ground chuck between two buns.
He stole my heart, through my tongues.
Drifty October by Peter Gidlund
If October is a jellyfish, May is the hyena,
cackling like a sleepy little baby, discovering oatmeal for the first time,
crackling like a soggy berry off the tree, ripe beyond age.
May is a hyena, doing the heavy lifting, drawing first blood,
collecting taxes, gnawing the scraps.
October is a jellyfish, drifting through the surf, oblivious to currents, out of its mind, praying for prey.
October is the jellyfish washed up on the beach,
no longer regulating the water, but still a thorn of the sand.

Earlier today, I passed a gate to nowhere.
The line pointed to the side, but the true jib
was straight ahead.  A few other guests were making their way in,
the dance from wind was about to start.
The grasses shimmied and shook, the trees stood and swayed.
The stalwart cross stands detattched from nuisance,
A giant Russian egg doll, made from the remains of
past life, molded and cut to its current stance.
Life from death, death from life, all mothers know to recycle.
Inside of the past, nothing had left and none had gone,
An anchor, symbol of industry, cast of iron, casted by man,
its components and composition were all the same scam,
leftovers of the previous endeavor.

Once in a dream sleep ceases, and genius takes the wheel,
an engine of centripetal force, the heavier the ball is,
the faster the call goes, the faster the moon orbits, the sooner the string breaks

I never thought life could be such a hoot,
echoing and summoning visions of the future's past.
I never thought life could be so much about fruit.
Wearing your skin and peel, like a three piece suit.
I never thought life could be such a drag, endless
possibilities, in every capability, for every type of porridge imaginable.
There are no longer three settings for our lives and times.
What is a decision, on top of a forest, inside of a whale.

Believe me what happened next, it stood up and
gazed through the peekhole, into the granite, a well.
Nothing to tame, the beast inside, no longer taking life for a ride.
No time left to spend in my quarry.

The worst thing you ever said to me was that I
was part of the effort and action.  How could you
know what could be work, without a face or hair?
When might you say, that the brittle will break?

These days I feel like a plum, trying to plumb
the depths of your heart, the canopy of your mind.
I feel like a sailor at sea, seeing himself,
inside of the delicate pyramid, a monument to stain.
Listen:  you can't do it as one or alone.  There is no
singularity for the somber, all of infinity to zero,
but without the one.
Once in October, I found the sneakiest way to fall down stairs.
The key is to holler and hoot, to reign and to root.
Fall down the chimney, covered in soot, Santa is a jerk.
Discrete Lobotomy by Peter Gidlund
Inside of the hotel there is a forest.
It stems and sways, but never really finds
the answer to its days, the answer for
for sun ablaze.  Inside the hotel there
is a sleepy hermit who wears no socks.
He's been everywhere and lost everything.
But he still holds humor in his pocket,
sprinkling it a bit over every time
to say, Oh, so it goes, or Oh, all of
my woes!  The hermit recludes and retreats,
not afraid of the shame of losing a
day's work, or the esteem and respect of
others, as he had already lost them
in his salty storms of lost sarcasm.

The ascetic has all the company
that he, could ever need.  He has no such
capacity for the blather, prattle,
and drivel of modern day gossameur.
He has no time to waste in the presence
of his unconciousness, anxious to get
to the bed, to become intimate with
the hermit, anticipating the nap.
As if to endure one or the other,
psychosis or a discrete lobotomy.
Inside of the forest there is a waif,
searching for lost time, slowly melting his mind,
counting up to nine, making sure it rhymes.
A mind is a terrible thing to lose,
but to think of all things we have lost to
the mind, clearing memory and solitude,
but that's really not that much, you don't mind?

For Who Doesn't Believe in Anything? by Peter Gidlund
I asked myself
What, Peter, does
a lie mean, for one who can't believe in truth?
What is strategy for those without games?
Who, Peter, is
the righteous and who is the criminal,
for someone who can't believe in right or wrong?
What is a store for one who doesn't own?
What, Peter, is war,
for someone who isn't manifested of anger?
What is mayhem for those without order?
What is mayhem, for one with no car insurance?
What, Peter, is sex,
for one who hasn't seen the face of love?
What is education, for someone who 
can't and won't comprehend consciousness?
What is time for one who has no history?
What, Peter, could language be for one who
has never imagined another?
What, Peter, could language be for one who
has never imagined the separate other?
 What is traffic, for one who has never
thought of car, or even a place to go?
What is speed for one who hasn't known time?
What is poem for one who has no rhyme?
Who, Peter, doesn't believe in belief?
For who doesn't believe in anything? 
animals.
 Loss and Loess by Peter Gidlund

All the new thinking is about loss
erosion, the banks and the loess.
It is the denominator of the lowest.
Asking out a girl, rejected by the lass.
A loss in my mind, sleeping through class.
A paper in a hot car, about to curl,
milk in the sun, about to curdle.
Eating too much pie, about to hurl.
Falling on your face, as you attempt to hurdle.
Having your favorite pet you
notice in your store.
An abnormally large hampster,
that you named Ferdinand, and held dear,
but it had to escape the cage.
At an age where it is impossible
to see anything other than that fact.
I ran through the day like a fiery mare.
Hoofing upon the impressionable sod.

Drew, on a strength I didn't
have before finding new life to
fill the spot of the hampster, a puppy.
A lively young buck, that likes to prance and squeal.
About to steal the corn, but it is too late.
The new puppy keeping us safe, never leaving my side.
For what is loss, but just a vacancy,
in the hotel of my heart.

 Orpheus's Melody by Peter Gidlund

The sun rising over
the mountains, the son,
playing his gamboy,
Charizard and Blastoise,
paper and scissors,
victory and loss,
have been decided,
long before the match
As the splint feeds
the feeble flame,
in the heart of
the lonely cave, looking
for friends to swallow up,
like a selfish nephilim.
As my hair falls out,
My teeth to rot,
My eyes are deaf,
And my ears are blind,
My mouth is sealed,
Wandering in a steely cave
searching for the treasure
of a trusted friend,
The Original companion
on my side, till the whistle,
I would not want for 
them to faint, or to 
feint their crys, but their
strength will only raise,
from the raze of the cave,
or the rays of our star.


 Sassy Park Ranger by Peter Gidlund

Why couldn't I have been a lawyer or
doctor like my folks pleaded me to be?
I like nature, but all these people are
so irksome.  Isn't it common knowledge
that you can't smoke on the park grounds?  I am
supposed to tell him to stop, but he's yoked.
I have to police these people somehow.
"Excuse me, miss!  Yeah, I know it's Sunday,
yeah, there's still no fishing.  The lake doesn't
even have any wildlife in it.
Well, that's nice that your dad's the senator,
but you still can't fish here.  There are no fish."
"Excuse me, sir!  Yeah, your trumpeting is
disturbing others.  No, I don't know Chet
Baker and you are not allowed trumpet"
"Excuse me Miss!  I'm not quite certain where
one would obtain a domesticated
monkey, but you are not allowed to walk
it in the park.  Please pick up after it."
What is wrong with those woods?  It's like midnight
over there.  Has that always been that way?
Why couldn't I have just been a teacher
or a historian, following in
the path of Michael Donaldson the Third?
I wish turkey legs were sold in the park.
Even a slice of pizza, or a scoop
of gelato would hit the spot.   
"Excuse me little girl, no dancing, no
skipping, no prancing about, no fun allowed.
Please keep it down, nature is for adults."
"Pardon me, find an ashtray for your pipe."
Where do these people come from?  They
look odd and bizarre, like from a painting.
These people are ruining the nature.
Trees by Peter Gidlund
Running through a dream, falling through a haze,
pleasure, not joy, seems to be everywhere,
solving a puzzle to feel accomplished,
avoiding the city's incessant howl.

Interrupting the bi-weekly cypress
tea party, I haggardly stumbled to
their holy clearing, I was met by a
volley of contemptuous stares, as they
froze, hardly moving in the gawky breeze.

As if to communicate all at once,
their deafening silence filled the basin,
I received their simple message, I was
unwelcome, like a balloon in a porcupine den,
seen as a traitor to a land I never loved.

Not wanting to look like a schmuck who came
miles from society for nothing,
I started to eat my granola bar,
embarrassed by the wrapper's claim to be
"all natural," I scarfed down my godless snack.

The legion of foot high wheat soldiers stand
at attention, prepared to swipe at my
shins, before I could even attempt to
drop my plastic relic of humanity.
From my perceived littering and loitering,
the Grove emitted their bloodless umbrage.

As I retreated from their dismissal,
I silently rejoined that my devices
are just as Earthly as those elitist shrubs,
 for what in my domain is not temporal?
Dust to dust, rust to brush, all things holy.
Humanity's gizmos and gadgets might
be newfangled and invasive, but they
were once minerals in the dirt, just as
was the trunk of the tree, the spire of
the hedge, or the bill of the platypus.

A waxy wrapper will not decompose,
in a human life, or a redwood's life,
but the planet does not mind, as it is
its kin, though transmogrified by the vile
madness of human ingeniuity,
like a petty science experiment.


What is the spark of life, but a prolonged
chemical reaction, that endlessly
repeats and refracts, setting laws, to break.


The Pokemans by Peter Gidlund

I was on a long and arduous journey.
Youngster Joey wants to battle!
I was lost for many weeks at a time. 
Mom, I can't just save in the middle of battle!

Youngster Joey wants to battle!
Electabuzz used Thunder on Squirtle.
Mom, I can't just save in the middle of battle!
Our quest was of the utmost importance. 

Electabuzz used Thunder on Squirtle.
I had a handful of loyal companions.
Our quest was of the utmost importance.
You'll get your game back after you finish chores.

I had a handful of loyal companions.
Can you take out the trash?  It's getting stinky.
You'll get your game back after you finish chores.
You can't play your Pokemans in church, period!

Son, the Lawn isn't gonna cut itself.
 I was lost for weeks at a time.
 You can't play your Pokemans in church, period!
I was on a long and arduous journey.


Embarrassment by Peter Gidlund

The Doleful Troll, under his bridge plays his
miniature ukelele, not knowing
how to finish his tune, stuck under the bridge.

Like a Great Sphinx, but in reverse, he tells
anyone who wanders near an assortment
of faux pas, miscues, and just all around goofs.

Have you ever had a pair of great pants?
Like a pair of pants that understood you.
You list this pair of pants as your role model.
Have you ever ripped a hole in the crotch?
Have you ever been the last one to know?

Do you forget to attach documents
to emails after you claim to have attached it?

Do you know the sick feeling of having
your underwear being touched by loose hands,
because you did a huge load of laundry,
ate some cake, and took an impromptu nap?

Have you ever heard your favorite song starting
to play and mistimed the first word?  Awkward…

Have you been waiting for the transit/
with the glorious day about to get
straight up carpe diemed/ your blazingly early,
break neck bus approaches on the horizon,
to realize you have two different shoes on?

Do you consistently appear clumsy in photos?

Have you ever had too much to drink
without enough words to speak or to think
and your monologue might be quite verbose
at first, but then your train of thought is derailed
as your speech ends with a sentence fragment-

Have you ever tried to holla at a
girl in Ping's, she turns as you say "hello,"
looks at you as if you have a bread nose,
cringes and shoots you a patronizing "hey,"
she skitters away with her chai latte.

Have you ever been at Pizza Planet
buying a couple of pies and hot wings,
the cashier comments to have a fun party,
but there is no party, there is no fun.
And under the bridge, the troll regrets regrets.
It could be worse, but it could be better.
He could be suave, but at least he has pizza.

Enoch's Socks by Peter Gidlund

Large Enoch learned about his purple socks,

as they came from majestic Nepal,
woven on the top of Mt. Kismet,
in the middle of a fierce lightning storm,
by a teeny tiny little old lady.

Enoch felt uncomfortable wearing
his purple socks when he wanted to go:
spelunking in the Grand Canyon with Mr. T,
have pillow fights to start off Enoch's sleepover,
kick a sick freestyle with Montay, yo!

Large Enoch didn't go out of his house
much, as he didn't want to pull a thread
while getting ice cream from the ice cream truck,
or perhaps wear a hole while getting the mail,
or spill mustard while playing some basketball,
-Large Enoch was very tall-
in his special purple socks from the little old lady
woven on the top of Mt. Kismet,
in the middle of a fierce lightning storm.
The intensity of the storm that night
enchanted that pair of socks with the power to
hypnotize anyone who wore the socks.
Large Enoch sat in his dead living room
in his special purple socks and would quite
gingerly float across the tacky old
yellow shag carpet given to Enoch by
The Nigerian Man for a chicken,
to the kitchen for another Capri Sun
and spend the rest of the day asleep
or watching Top Gun, regardless of if
he'd seen the film before, or even if
Blockbuster wanted their VHS back.

Enoch had a fine life in his lifetime.
Nothing went wrong and nothing went right.
Sometimes he ran out of paper bags and
sometimes he ran out of very small buttons,
but he never worried, for he had his special
purple socks from the tiny little old lady.

 The Ants by Peter Gidlund
I like it when they get together
and talk with voices that sound
like jellyfish and ray guns,
and some of them carry sticks,
and go to Arizona in the winter,
and they like to build their monuments,

they seem quite nice, and I'm sure they have nice stories,
but they are always in quite a hurry, rushing about,
I wouldn't wish to ruin their schedule, with time running out.

They will always be the ones
to finish off the chicken bones,
to finish off ice cream cones,

they will motion for my pancakes been syrup'd,
while my jelly doughnut is about to erupt,
perhaps they just wanted to say "whatsup?"

I seem to recognize one of them,
and to him I say "good afternoon,"
but  it was not the one I knew.

They will never be the ones that say
"I'm thirsty," or "It's too crowded in here,"
but they never leave and they never stay,

apathetic to my various small talk,
oblivious to my inquiries,
impervious to the juiciest gossip
about the catepillar on the branch,
about the most foolish rolly pollies,
and of course about the thirsty worms.

The ants have no leisure to mull around,
they have shipments to take care of, imports
and exports, displaying their massive strength.

I remember still, the dirt patch in back,
as I might have stepped on their mound, "Oh no!"
all I really wanted to do was say "Hello."
Borborygmus the Loud by Peter Gidlund
There is a beastly thing inside of me,
bellowing, urging, yearning for the next meal.
My whole being is shaped by his needs.
My legs for chasing, my paws for strangling.
It lets out face wrenching stenches.

It poesses me for moments at a time,
commandeering my chords to let out barbaric yawps.
Before high noon, he starts mawing and cawing,
after I prepare a sacrifice,
he stops bugging me, and takes a quick nap.

In an hour or two, he comes through
to pester me once more, doing his dance,
shaking his stick, lighting my fire,
Borborymus, stomping in my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment