Monday, June 3, 2013

prompt 1 in class by liz snader

Prompt #1
If October is like the falling of
The orange, brown, and yellow leaves,
Then may is like the prepping of the may pole
With its red, blue, green, pink, white, and purple ribbons,
Eloquently floating in the wind.
When October knows the bite of a crisp wind,
May fears the blaze of wild fires-
Flames jumping from tree to forest,
Engulfing everything in its path.
October remembers the smell of cider
And the taste of pumpkin ice cream.
May, however, reminds us that new birth is coming.

Earlier today, I saw a tree, brilliant and mighty in stature.
The leaves were just buds,
Signaling the beginning of summer!
Greens of all shades burst from the dark brown trunk,
Attempting to cover the barren plants,
But the fight is in vain-
For a while, these plants will sprout and be covered in greens-
Continually sprouting new life-
But soon, October will come-
The sun will go-
The will becomes cold-
The leaves will change-
For in may, everything grows
But in October, the earth begins its rest.
We watch as out earth tucks in for bed-
Turning the leaves orange and the flowers dead.



And this too is the truth of God.
Our world changes but we stay the same-or do we?
Those colors and changes don’t just happen-or do they?
Someone playing with paints-
Creating new life and wiping it aside-
A creative something-is it “He” or “She” or “It”?
Who really cares though-this thing
 we are taught to believe is Omni Potent-
One God, on beloved Son, on Holy Spirit-
Who creates the world around us-
Who plays with the balance-
“Is this real life-or am I just dreaming?”- we all have asked it.
The answer for that belongs to one- one God, one beloved Son, one Holy Spirit-
In God we trust, because no man
Is pure enough to trust completely.

One in a dream, though, I thought I was
Trapped in a tunnel of water-
I could not move-I could not speak-
Panic swept over me like the heavy rush of the wave-
Powerful but calm in its own right-
This dream has happened more than once.
I remember this dream as a child
Feeling trapped by my surroundings.
Now as an adult, I have the same debilitating dream,
But I see it differently this time-
Trapped by my own stubborn nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment