Monday, June 3, 2013

Borrowed Lines Poem by Kimberly Coverly


A Poem Beginning With a Line by Pablo Neruda and Ending With a Line by John Koethe – by Kimberly Coverly

I don’t love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz,
No, my liking for you started way back,
When your shimmer caught my eye,
Sitting in the center of a sterling necklace.
Not particularly calling much attention to yourself,
But I saw your beauty even back then,
When my mom gave me a golden ring.
The family gushed over the glittering diamonds,
Though my attention was stuck on you,
Sitting lopsided in your four silver prawns,
Hiding your beauty to accentuate theirs.
They were always the star of the show,
Yet you never minded because you knew I saw.
I still see that shine that you hide so well,
On days that everything else seems dull,
Even the triad of diamonds on my finger.
But you, you, will never lose your brightness,
For it is what makes you special to my eye.
I don’t care if they laugh at my choices,
One look at you and every pain subsides.
You hold all of my dearest memories,
Of days in jewelry stores and trips to the mall,
All the way to lecture halls where everything loses excitement,
And all the intricate years between,

No comments:

Post a Comment