Wednesday, April 10, 2013


TERRA SETZLER
Imitation of “pencil” by marianne boruch

So many people demand my respect
The word respect looks a lot like resent
I resent those who demand my action
I deal in ethos, you must show me why
I respect those who can admit they’re wrong
How should I know that you are talking fair?

Fair, seems about as real as a fairy
How often does someone get a fair chance?
We are known for our past, not our future
No one cares about your life tomorrow
People want to know how you got to now

Respect is the word on everyone’s lip
you must respect all those who have more years
I bow to no king, I stand tall and strong
Respect is a currency gained with time
The wealth overspent by the proud

Wealth is a material possession
Health is the strenght you carry along
It It is the beginning and end of life
No amount of fake self importance will
bring more friends, family, time or money
Life is earned in true kindness and friendship
I give respect to those who show they care

Not by saying they did at one point
Words blow over me like a gust of wind
They might whip my hair up for a moment
But in the end, they can’t change all that much
There is nothing behind the words and wind
I wait for something I can see or feel
I only learn through my experience
______________________________________________
My drawing teacher said: Look, think, make a mark.
Look, I told myself.
And waited to be marked.

Clouds are white but they darken
with rain. Even a child blurs them back
to little woolies on a hillside, little
bundles without legs. Look, my teacher
would surely tell me, they’re nothing

like that. Like that: the lie. Like that: the poem.
She said: Respond to the heaviest part
of the figure first. Density is
form. That I keep hearing destiny

is not a mark of character. Like pilgrimage
once morphed to mirage in a noisy room, someone
so earnest at my ear. Then marriage slid.
Mir-aage, Mir-aage, I heard the famous poet let loose
awry into her microphone, triumphant.

The figure to be drawn —
not even half my age. She’s completely
emptied her face for this job of standing still an hour.
Look. Okay. But the little

dream in there, inside the think
that comes next. A pencil in my hand, its secret life
is charcoal, the wood already burnt,
a sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment