Wednesday, April 10, 2013


TERRA SETZLER
Joyce (I couldn’t find her last name)  imitation

The wind whistles through the restless corn fields
Eighty four squirm in the iowa heat
Bees and kids swarm around the card tables
The grown fill another glass of red wine
Me between, smiling young, talking old
My family is together again
We tell stories of our immigration
We remember our dutch roots and wood shoes
The grass is dry and brown below my feet
It is four and still no clouds to be seen

We all gather around massive trash bins
We shuck corn and throw hairs at each other
For us chores are fun and games and good times
We pack the only hill for miles
Lines of parents serve homegrown and cooked meals
Moments of silence will not happen here
Too much to say, Too little time for talk
When we leave we will span LA to Maine
But we stay connected with memories
We live our lives knowing we will return

I stick out here by more than a little
I stand five inches over every one
I speak like a girl who goes to college
And I have not set foot in a wal-mart
Just like a kid solving a new puzzle
With a piece that just won’t fit anywhere
It is jammed in where it seems it should go
No one will see that it doesn’t belong
I’m a little too thin to fit in here
So I eat the fried feast without protest
____________________________________________________________
Sorry I don’t have her’s it was the first week and I forgot to copy it

No comments:

Post a Comment