Wednesday, April 10, 2013


Do   or Die by Nicholas Ingalls

 

 

The silent stadium listened to the

Announcer. A crackling buzz sent through

The still air as snowflakes fell to the ground.

White diamonds floating elegantly down

So slow, all freezes. It felt like Christmas.

The anticipation on opening

A gift; the confidence and empowerment

Of my name spoken like a drum over

The speaker. The names of my teammates,

My brothers, my family. A bond

Like a chain of titanium, never

Broken, never wavering. I am here

For each man beside me and

They are here for me. A bond built from

Hard work every day, blood, sweat, tears, love.

A woman’s voice pierces the sky. A song

Of our home, our country, pride and freedom.

Here anything can happen, on a road

To the state title. Win and we’re in the

 Semi’s. lose, and I am done forever.

Soccer, the on true thing that completes me.

The field cut perfectly, each blade of grass

In place. Pampered like a golf green only

To be shredded by cleats. The grass torn up.

Every man plays his part, a carefully

Scripted dance, the movement of the ball

A beautiful game. Every piece now

In position.  A drum pounding on the

Hard bone mass of my rib cage. Threatening

To break. This is it. This is do or die.

No comments:

Post a Comment