Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Key West By Sanjana Mahesh


Key West
By Sanjana Mahesh

Driving on down the overseas highway
we glide on the teal water unsubmerged
making the voyage east to the decadent keys
of Florida rather well known as Key West.
too young with no phone for fun I slept most


Once there in a town of unknown I found
key lime pie, too tangy and citrusy
whipped cream couldn't stopper the flavored blast.
Cookies baked and caked with coconut flakes
Pastries too, sprinkled and dressed up for me


one bite was enough for a tummy ache
too much would be throw up, I hated this.
all the treats frosted all with no substance
too easy to mistake a cake for a
poop pile of frosting, all just sugar heaps
queasy and nauseous, the food repelled me
overpowering, updone, head to heel
this city was sensory overload
being a twelve year old, this crazy land
felt like this was just glitter gone so wrong


the city was so ostentatious
all glitzy, fabulous, sparkled fierce trash
Half Girl, Half Boy so plastic so pretty
I pointed, yuck their faces abnormal,
biting back a scream I couldn't take this
city. the whole town was too weird and new


were they all real people or a nightmare
but why were their dresses so near perfect
they giggled so high and lured you in with
the bleached grin, lined luscious lips, stilletos,
key west, this town scared the life out of me.
nineteen now, full of life, I’ll visit soon


No comments:

Post a Comment