Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Metal Steed by Abhishek Raol


My Metal Steed by Abhishek Raol

We considered ourselves cowboys on bikes
Most of my childhood was spent on that frame
I cared for it like my very own steed
I clearly remember picking it out
From the huge stable called G.I. Joes

I was young, it was an easy choice
Just go with the one that looked coolest
It smelled so clean, so fresh without a scratch
The brand was diamondback just like the snake
I think that’s why I picked it, I loved snakes

Especially on hot summer days when
We were letting our mighty steeds take rest
We would transform from cowboys to hunters
Pretending our backyard was a jungle
Like hawks, fearlessly capturing the snakes

Prisoning them in Nike shoe boxes
Trying desperately to make them our pets
However our attention spans were short
So back to mounting our metal horses
Strapping on our hard plastic cowboy hats

And we all looked at and thought the same thing
The empty long stretch of road that we loved
Right in front of us, challenging us forth
We lined up and dropped to the lowest gear
All of a sudden we were in Nascar

A 3, 2, 1 GO! Echoed down the road
The echo followed by the clanking of
Gears, churning of chains, swishing of pedals
Our grunts of determinations grew loud
We all needed to be the best cowboy

No comments:

Post a Comment