Thursday, April 11, 2013

Same Difference By Ellyssa Pearce


I jumped. Legs still coiled from the upward
Motion. One leg stretching out unbending
From the middle hinge. The top of my foot
Goes to strike but he moves from the point of
Anticipation. I kick an empty
Space that I wasn’t meant to kick and his
Unintentional attack causes me
To fall. I recall a fight about socks
I stand annoyed tears are running down her
Cheeks, we yell. I hit the floor, at first my
Leg is numb then the surge strikes me and I
Don’t know what to do. Lots of faces surround
Me and then a slap. My cheek burns I’ve insulted
Someone, he stands there a big grizzly bear
That doesn’t like my tone I explode back
Tears fierce, I swing back and miss, I’m in a
Car, my leg aches but my head won’t let me
Feel the real grief and I don’t remember,
I don’t remember how I got to this
Bed but I recall the hurt, oh I recall
The hurt. “I’m sorry I made you cry” I
Said in a childlike tone “but your being unfair”
“I’m sorry” I say even though I’m the
One in agony. It was an accident it wasn’t
His fault but the unfamiliar does that
To me. She says to me “it’s okay, it wasn’t your fault”
They both hugged me so I could be reassured
It’s not my fault, it’s not my fault, it’s funny
How two differences can feel exactly the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment