Thursday, April 11, 2013

Four Paws and a Stocking

By Natalie Frenette

Four Paws and a Stocking

Christmas came a little early that year
We had just finished opening presents
What we thought was the end, was not really
Jane and I watched my parents walk upstairs
A little confused, we stayed sitting there
They came back down with two tiny stockings
One was for Jane, and the other for me
That feeling of Christmas morning all over
They gave us the stockings filled with four paws
Their fluffy little heads poked out the top
Puppies for Christmas, what a cliché idea
But we didn?t care, dreams were coming true
Full of energy and ready to play
Our parents, excited, to see our joy
Jane and I never even slept that night
Too excited that we had new best friends

One year later, we were planning to move
Taking the puppies wouldn?t have been fair
We were always gone, and they, in their cage
Jane and I went to school and came back later
To find an empty crate with no puppies
Our parents had sold them early that day
?They were really nice,? my mother told us
My heart had been shattered when I found out
Our furry little friends had been farmed out
We moved to South Carolina that year
With no furry little friends to follow
My heart has always wondered where they went
That feeling of Christmas morning that year
Four paws and a stocking that disappeared

2 comments:

  1. The contrast of the joyful moment of getting the puppies for Christmas and the sad moment of having to give them away because your family was moving worked really well in this poem. You took the reader through these moments with enough explanation that the ending was not too much of a shock/jump from the two events. The best part of explanation was the reasoning as to why you could not keep them "Taking the puppies wouldn't have been fair. We were always gone, and they in their cage" Nicely Done!
    -Amy Cotter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my favorite part of this is the line at the end "Four paws and a stocking that disappeared" It is simple, yet it shows the disappointment felt by you and your sister. Also, as a reader I could really feel the emotions that the girl and her sister were feeling in the poem, the excitement and then the letdown. Very nice!

    -Kimberly Coverly

    ReplyDelete