Thursday, April 11, 2013

My home by Lauren Kahle


 Amazing, green, majestic place I once
Called home, the eighteen years that had passed by
Seemed nonexistent, erased, out of reach
It was as if nothing ever happened
My mother’s beautiful voice, her soft touch
On the keys of the piano, ringing
My brother and I’s laughter as we played
My dad making dinner, as always too
Healthy for our taste, organic cooking
Or the smell of my mom’s enchiladas,
Christening the air with their spicy stench
Family gathered around for dinner
The green to purple to yellow to pink
To light blue ever changing wall colors
Now just white, as if the souls of the house
Were painted away, and so easily
 Suffocation by pigmentless liquid
The cherry tree out back so old and wise
Bearing fruit for us to eat, we used to
Climb to get the best cherries, the ripest
One summer a bird got caught in the net
And my mom took it down and worked for hours
To untangle its foot and set it free
We used to pick tomatoes, warm from sun
And my dad would make fires on summer nights
Corona in hand, and would sneak away
To smoke. But everything comes to an end,
Parents split up, siblings split up, life keeps
Going and never stops for a second
Not even for a smoke break



No comments:

Post a Comment