Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cookies and Polka Dots by Corynn Bernhardt


Cookies and Polka Dots by Corynn Bernhardt

The house is not a home without fam’ly.
I’m not related to anyone here,
Yet I feel very welcome in this house.
Mommy’s cookies are very delicious.
Made with butter and flour and sugar.
The chocolate goes well with a glass of milk.
They won’t let you walk away with just one.
Have two… or three… or maybe a dozen,
When batch after batch comes out of the oven.
And you will never leave this place hungry.
Would you like some soup, chili, a sandwich?
And have some sweet tea or milk with that, dear.
There’s enough to go around, three times through.
But if you decide to swear, say a prayer.
We came here to watch Madagascar 3.
Out in the garage is a hangout place
Filled with couches and beanbags and blankets.
The garage fills up quickly, so one friend
Sits in the car parked behind the couches.
Where you hear a small chuckle from behind.
That made the movie even more funny.
I tried to cuddle with my friend Megan,
But she was so focused, no cuddles back.
The garage was filled with laughter and friends.
I didn’t think the movie would be that
Good. Polka dot, polka dot, polka dot
Afro. When it came time to leave, we all
Stood at the doorway: talking, chatting, still.
Reminds me of a family reunion,
Except I like these people who are here.
They are a family that I got to choose.
I think I chose well; the cookies are good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment