Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Mind Your Manners By Kayla Hall


Mind Your Manners
The first thing to know is I am not a
cucumber sandwich and I won't be turned
into one. She claims I am not lady,
but it's my birthright and I shall keep it.

At any moment I was expecting
a scene from Pocahontas, shouts and chants
yelling SAVAGES over and over.
But no they are far too proper for that.

I am the tea cup with only one chip
but therefore I must be the beast. Disgrace.
                                                                                     
How many lumps does it take to be
a lady? Well I don't know I use honey!

No elbows on the table! These silver
things next to my plate I ignore them all
except the trident, "I saw a movie
and she used them like this!" And I picked up
the fork and started to brush my hair, I
mean in the movie she was a princess
so we must be right, right? And she is wrong!

My parents saw changes in my sister
But I remained unchanged, victorious!
At least I thought that was good. My parents
though weren't as happy. Maybe a second
time taking the class will work, as if I
am a poor dog that failed to jump on cue.

I was a little girl in a school where
they taught you to be a dainty flower.
But society is the true teacher
and we all the students but I never
listened because I was brought up that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment