Thursday, April 11, 2013

How Do I? by Chad Lahr (Imitation #2)


How do I? I ask myself this often
Get out of bed each day and face the world
The jokers and gossip queens reign supreme
Second chances are all but lost these days

How does one endure? Selfishness lives on
Friends are no longer bonding together
With every thunder of the second hand
A brother turns into an acquaintance

How long can we swim while the floods still rise?
Not all my sandbags keep the waters out
Or maybe my mouth can’t keep the words in
Nonetheless this is who I am right now

How can you find what you need every day?
Searching through the rubble that you are now
Reach for a hand, but build another brick
Learn to let go, then you will find yourself

How many times can you find your own way?
When the trail before you is crawling snakes
It rolls and writhes; an untraceable path
So no one could return to where they came

How do we go backwards, where we came from?
If our past matters, why do we rush so?
Winding the clock is quite an illusion
If the pendulum stops, we will tick on

HOW DO YOU control your own destiny
When everything is upside down and wrong?
Backwards is normal and no one knows it
You push on against the grain eating wood

“Does anyone know what I am saying?”
Someone asks as their voice fades out of range.

_______________________________________

How do you BY KABIR

How do you,
Asks the chief of police,
Patrol a city
Where the butcher shops
Are guarded by vultures;
Where bulls get pregnant,
Cows are barren,
And calves give milk
Three times a day;
Where mice are boatmen
And tomcats the boats
They row;
Where frogs keep snakes
As watchdogs,
And jackals
Go after lions?

Does anyone know
What I’m talking about?
Says Kabir.

2 comments:

  1. Quite a fan of the line, "With every thunder of the second hand." Adds a great amount of sensory detail that fits nicely within the stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the lines, "When the trail before you is crawling snakes
    It rolls and writhes; an untraceable path". I like the wording you use to describe the path. It creates an image in you head of what this path might look like.

    ReplyDelete