Thursday, April 11, 2013

Waiting Kelsea Bittner

Waiting 

I can remember sitting and waiting
It was the longest hour of my life
His sad eyes slowly scanned the terminal
Quite obviously, his head was spinning
Like a carousel losing all control

It was our last meeting for six whole months
Check-in was looming, and his fear surfaced
Waiting, or leaving, not sure which was worse
 I called on strength to remain positive, 
But that task was almost impossible

Baggage I could never know filled his thoughts
As his grip on my hand became tighter
He was searching for security, 
Wondering if this was the departure
Of our hearts, or the arrival of hope

Half a year can be manageable, 
The distance is not part of the struggle
But rather, the job, safety in question
These thoughts were constantly flooding my head
Although not appropriate to discuss,
They came and went like jets on the runway

I knew he was scared, but as minutes passed,
His emotions seemed to be in transit
As he prepared to leave, courage surfaced
 Hoping our embrace would not be the last,
He slowly turned away....duffle in hand

His gate displayed that of audacity
As I watched him disappear in the crowd
Like a stone, I stood there, without movement
My heart frozen, with only memories

No comments:

Post a Comment