Thursday, April 11, 2013

For Flowers by Melissa Campana


For Flowers

Have you ever just stared at a flower?
And noticed how their petals over lap
How their stems either stand tall or they droop
To let their blossoms hang like little bells

My first love never once bought me flowers
But he made up for it in other ways
He let me pick the movies and restaurants
Once we had a mud fight in the backyard
We both ended up on the ground crying
From laughter in our mud-covered clothing
The fresh daisies from spring surrounding us
Going unnoticed, for our eyes were locked.
He would make my heart race and my palms sweat
I’d hide behind the door so I could jump
Out and surprise him with arms wide open
When he would come home late from working hard

But never once did he buy me flowers

My new love buys me flowers all the time
Roses and daffodils, even orchids
It really depends on the occasion
If it’s his hand I get a dahlia
The chair gets me a lily or peonies
When it’s my neck, I get a full bouquet
His affection is hard, but made up for
In other ways: lavender and jasmine.

He too makes my heart race and my palms sweat
I hide behind the door so I can sit
In peace awhile longer when he gets home
But then I catch the smell of fresh sweet pea
And the cycle starts again-for flowers.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the line, "When it’s my neck, I get a full bouquet". It made me think about what you meant and it could take the poem down a darker path. I really like its diverseness.

    ReplyDelete