Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Play by Kody Cayson (memory)


Kody Cayson
The Play

Time was running out, the seconds ticked off
With no way to stop the clock, and then, the
Ball was snapped, only six points from winning,
Just five steps between the end zone and me,
The quarterback put the ball in my arms
Like my father would when I was younger
In our backyard where the tire swing was hung,
And my mother would lie out reading,
No pressures of life and school lingering,
The rare Oregon sunshine beaming down,
Laughter filled the air from corny jokes told
By dad, I was only eight anything could make me laugh,
Dreams of playing in the NFL are as real
To me as apple pie and just as sweet,
A child’s innocence and pureness is a
Gift that won’t last, such a shame, I aim for
The end zone just a couple steps to win the
Game, on the clock no seconds remain, in the
Backyard I lived that dream, the crowd would scream
A deafening roar, like thunder cracking
Or wind whipping in a hurricane, dad
Would chase me down, lift me up before
I scored, back to the start we’d walk slow, I
Needed my small breathes and he enjoyed the 24
Glow of that rare Oregon sun, for hours
We played, his patients incredible even
To this day, if I could go back to these
Moments more often I would, but I can’t
Afford to pay that price, I wake up on
turf concussed from the play, just a step away.




No comments:

Post a Comment