Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cattle Brand by Kimberly Coverly


Cattle Brand by Kimberly Coverly

The words sting like a slap to the back.
Pain, the kind that you don’t feel right away.
At first, it is masked, maybe by a joke
But then, suddenly it creeps up on you
Slowly, suffocating you like a snake.
Cutting off all circulation, no breath.
A single tear signals the searing hurt.
Like a cattle brand it burns, marks for exile.

“She probably eats a million calories”
They smirk when I walk by, they have no idea
This metabolism is not up to me.
But they don’t care, “Look she makes a big splash”
Im not good enough to meet their standards.

Driving through that red light became an option
Maybe then they would feel bad for big me.
My right foot left the accelerator.
But I couldn’t bring myself to do it.
Why should they win when my life was at hand?
Who are they to say if I am pretty?
Precocious, the perfect term to describe,
Those prim and proper, preppy people in high school.

They are the ugly ones if you ask me.
While they spend all of their seconds on me
They have forgotten a branding iron
Leaves scars on the hands of the farmer as well.
They will forever have dirt on their hands
They might not be able to see it
But I will see it for eternity.
They don’t know the effect they have on me.


1 comment:

  1. You have a lot of similes in this poem that really help the reader picture all of the things you are trying to portray in this poem. My favorite is "suddenly it creeps up on you slowly, suffocating like a snake. Cutting off all circulation, no breath." Good Job!
    -Amy Cotter

    ReplyDelete