Wednesday, April 10, 2013

random word poem by liz snader


War Times by Elizabeth Snader

“Don’t try it,” he said to the boy, in a low, thundering voice.
“One time and you’ll be hooked,” he proclaimed.
His clamoring- they are secret messages laced within his words.
Using his thoughts like the acid within the vile-
Alive, oppressed-suddenly let loose to play-
He gives a kiss, like the French, and goes on his damn way.

Predisposed to addiction-age, society, post-war bullshit-these tell the story.
It’s mine; it’s sad; my mother was nagging me-
I was near breaking- my tiny plea to stop war. I tried.
The city, the music that was playing-
It reminded me of smoking and being with them;
T’was the first day I went the wrong way.

The smell- it was a heaven scent- GANJA!
I would shout out to Chris, “Get the pipe and the green, Pepe!!”
-I used to call him Pepe and I was Maymo-
My best friend, Chris, going over to pump up the sound system.
The music descent-he was playing Skrillex…GROSS…
My heart moved to the beat of the music, nonetheless,
Swaying like a palm tree in the hot air of Hawaii-
I was one with the beat, the bass, the drums-
Everything pulsing through my veins like heroin through an addict’s.
Intense and young, they do not realize they are a puppet.
“SHMIPE!!” What in the hell does that mean?!
“Please evolve-dress your damn age! Stop living
In a van; piety is not worth it.”

“Just—not them”. Those people- giving my regards to them
In the graveyards. The tent-ready and warm-
It sheltered us from the raw pot weather.
“Screw this! I want to read!”
“No! We play Janga now!!”
Both got slapped in the chin- expected of one who talks like that.
The end is near-very, very near-
Pushing people to pray; good luck, man.

Peace out for now, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment