Thursday, April 4, 2013

Waking from Winter by Chad Lahr (Imitation #1)

Waking from Winter; where I lost myself
Feeling cold from betrayal, frostbite wears off
Needles in my lips make it hard to speak,
I fell so many times this last season
But being back there is not what I need

Putting pen to paper trying to recall
What made me want to stay back in the cold
Turns my ink to ice and I cannot think,
I did not write although the years passed by
But maybe you were not what I needed

The Winter Solstice ends and I see day
It is blinding but I want to step out
I think I see my former self but no,
Finally I begin to thaw; remembering
Putting fresh footprints in the melting snow

I had heard of ones who woke up then lived
Though I did not believe it for myself
For I thought winter would last forever,
Over and over, some freeze and thaw again
There is more than the changing of seasons

Hating the inevitable rising
Not me, the star above; for I felt weak
But on my feet now I feel like trying,
Opening the door to “old and distant”
Back to where I once was, one door before

It is not far, step back to what you knew
The chords of a song will hit the right strings
Although it feels like night will last all year,
Just believe somehow winter ends for you
Even if it endures until late spring.

____________________________________


Late Spring - W.S. Merwin

Coming into the high room again after years
after oceans and shadows of hills and the sounds of lies
after losses and feet on stairs

after looking and mistakes and forgetting
turning there thinking to find
no one except those I knew
finally I saw you
sitting in white
already waiting

you of whom I had heard
with my own ears since the beginning
for whom more than once
I had opened the door
believing you were not far

No comments:

Post a Comment