Thursday, April 4, 2013

Early Spring - Joey Ng

Late Spring - W.S. Merwin

Coming into the high room again after years
after oceans and shadows of hills and the sounds of lies
after losses and feet on stairs

after looking and mistakes and forgetting
turning there thinking to find
no one except those I knew
finally I saw you
sitting in white
already waiting

you of whom I had heard
with my own ears since the beginning
for whom more than once
I had opened the door
believing you were not far
____________________________________________________________________

Early Spring - Joey Ng


With the spring sun comes warmth and excitement,
Murky months finally coming to end.
As I lay basking in the sun’s comfort,
As I revel in the birds’ cheerful tunes,
As the earth bustles in newfound voices,
The slightest notion begins to arise.

Not one that speaks of sorrow and regret,
But one that holds a dire uncertainty.
It is exciting, no, captivating,
To imagine the opportunities
But yet again the notion arises.

It is a great responsibility.
No, an obligation, to keep in mind.
I search myself for reasons and answers,
But even logic speaks with sentiment.

As I turn around I see you clearly.
So blessed in your familiarity,
Like a beacon amidst furious tides.
Yet this same anchor that keeps me afloat
Drags me down to simple contentedness,
Never straying from the comfort of home,
Wanderlust ever so present within.

Like the moon, your light wanes in the distance,
But with the rising waves, waxes anew.
And thus, a brilliant exaltation,
Glistening and permeating the air
Until it settles like a dewy mist,
Rejuvenating and comforting so.

With that, the beauty of the gentle sun
Displaces that of the glistening snow

No comments:

Post a Comment