Sunday, April 14, 2013

Tuesday's poem by Donovan Acuna


                                                A Memory
No matter what is, the first time is should be one you always remember.
In all honesty this holds no weight or big value in my life;           
It’s just something that can make me smile, it’s just a memory attached to my heart
It’s strange how a drop of rain makes me recall
That windy cold day in which I will never forget.

I suppose it started like a day no different than the one before;
That would change quickly after I broke the news I would no longer see her.
When this happened I was roaming the halls of some elementary school
In Washington, where my mother planted her world famous temporary roots.
I met a girl whose actions would soon be imprinted in my mind forever.

I was the “new kid,” once again and was approached by a group of three
Girls, one had the face of a doll, a voice like melody and eyes of amber.
Her hair was soft and curly, her skin was a the lightest of browns, with the brightest of glows.
I had never felt so drawn, I was immediately heels overhead.
I courted her the only way I knew how,
With notes, pictures, and walks across the playgroung at recess.

One day we were steady, in as much of a relationship as we could have been.
We studied after school, and joined the same clubs.
Poetry was our first and tetherball was the next.
I jumbled words into rhymes and confessed how I felt.
I needed no reciprocation, no thank you or anything other than that.
It was that warm, subtle smile escaping her lips with every line I desired.

That was until I was told I needed to “tell everyone bye”
I now desired A phrase I’ve heard with every move, to one I’d never heard at all.
I had an anchor of sorts that made me want to stay.
Alas, being young and incapable of living on my own
Made me tell this girl whom I feel so hard for
I’d be moving again and perhaps I could write her.

We were walking down the halls and she didn’t say much.
It was right after the last bell of the day
Once a happy sound, now it caused dismay
It was the final time I’d see her eyes, sparkling down at me
It was the final time I’d hold her hand and trying to restrain perspiration
It was the first time I was kissed though . . .

I waited for her response as we walked toward the buses.
She said I’d be missed and was glad we were dating.
Drops of rain landed on my forehead as I looked up to hug her goodbye.
I opened my arms gesturing her in, then walked away never to see her
Again, I thought, as my arm was yanked from behind me
She beckoned me closer and pursed her lips against mine.
At that moment I took in all I could
The rain, her scent, something sweet like white-wine and the “ooohss” of children standing near.
And as I pulled away, I smiled, leaving with a memory, a kiss from Chardonnay.

No comments:

Post a Comment