Friday, April 5, 2013

The Bench by Amber Rose


A current like a noise machine through sleep.
I find myself here with you beside me
Sitting here while the fall breeze blows through me
In the distance I can hear waves crashing

My toes warm; curled in the warmth of the sand
The smell of your perfume drowning my nose
As soon as I see your face it all fades
I can’t bring myself to wake from this dream

Grabbing your hand trying to hold on tight
The black hole grows stronger pulling me back
Eyes closed tightly memorizing your face
I picture the rusty old bench once more

Memories of you rushing through my veins
I scream your name as your fingers lose grip
Your snow colored hair is the last I see
Now these four walls surround me I can’t breathe

I try to remember it’s all a dream
But the tears flowing taste so salty real
The sting of reality invades me here
Ticking and tocking another year by            
Shadows become the essence of your face
Things we once enjoyed ruined by this fate
I sing alone in this dark dreary room
Praying you back for one minute longer

Cold sweats wake me as I shout out your name
A sweet memory of you turned to sour
Sometimes I go there in hopes to find you
Only to realize the sky is your home

Looking for you only makes things harder
Eyes heavy you grant me peace to dream more




____________________________________




Over Greenland
BY PETER CAMPION
A current like a noise machine through sleep.
Blue lichen fields. Mossed boulders. Waking up
to ice cubes cracking in a plastic cup

and voices (“awesome for the Hong Kong branch
. . . well, most of all we miss our daughter . . . ”) I still
see it: the climb up slate as runnels spill

from some bare misted summit like a source.
Whatever sense this dream might make
to others. And whatever when they wake

they also have been dreaming. Rivers of faces
down hallways, merging, as desires mesh
and fissure. Cash for clothes or arms or flesh.

And if there is no towering sublime
where all comes clear to all, no final climb
through cloud, like some old Bible illustration:

how could that ever stop the current flowing
out of the glass at JFK: skin glowing
plumb and peach as we walk inside the sun

No comments:

Post a Comment