Thursday, April 11, 2013

Terra Setzler


Emotions and words
Terra Setzler

lost
lost to me
lost without me?
I have my mom and my dad
but i’ve lost a parent
or two
or three
its hard to keep track anymore
I miss those who have left
miss
missing a dollar after my laundry
no, missing isn’t the right word
I know where you are
not here and not coming back
I’m missing you
you were a part of me
like that book you used to read me as a kid
about that little pizza man who rolled along
until he found his missing
slice
out of my life
and that piece is missing from me

Are you missing me?
If so, why
did you leave
I remember the tears on my face that day
someone once said that tears sting
tears don’t sting
when you cry
your nose tingles like you
just drank a root beer too quick
but the tears, those are easy
they glide down your face
waterfalls off a mountain
so large yet so small
a sign that something big has changed

____________________________________

Or in the structure you like

There were no bags in the doorway that night
I still knew you were going to leave me
The look my mom always get on her face
when she’s about to give me some bad news
The words she says don’t really matter now
Yet another will walk out that door, gone
What other people think of a parent
I’m not really sure, I hope its all good
I hope they bake you cupcakes and cookies
Cause I always thought that would be quite nice
Parents can miss your ballet recital
I’ve seen too many to count walk away
I thought I would get away in college
But my mom walked down with that look again

We all have our demons that we must fight
Liquor makes warriors of the broken
We ban together, a fucked-up comrade
I may not have talked to you before now
You may not have seen a parent walk out
But you have your own story to tell me

This is the reason for missing parents
bar-talk and a good margarita mix
Without my parents I could not handle
All the fucked-up times others have been through

No comments:

Post a Comment