Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pretty Pink Tutus by Kimberly Stutevoss


Pretty Pink Tutus

She grabs her new soft leather light pinks shoes
And puts them on her feet delicately
The toothy grin on her face reminds me
Of my old smiles that I had everyday
When coming to ballet class as a child
The teacher calls the students and she sprints
To the small forming circle of her peers
They hold hands while the teacher smiles and say,
“Point your toe, just like me, swing it to the
Back, one two three.” it was something that my
Old teachers used to say when we danced in
Our circle with our pretty pink tutus
It wasn’t that long ago that I was
There in that very room with my old class
But it has been a long time and I have
Hung up my old worn out shoes and left my
Younger sister to be the dancer in
The family. Her smile is contagious
And never stops infecting those around
Her. Up and down, pliés and relevés
Before I know it she is pirouetting
And jete-ing across the hard wooden
Floor that I had fallen on many times
Whatever move she makes her pretty pink
Tutu follows her command flopping up
And down until it comes to a complete
Stop when her teacher is saying goodbye
While they try to hide the disappointment
In their faces that the hour passed so
Quickly that it is now time to go home

No comments:

Post a Comment