Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Letter by Chad Lahr


THE LETTER

I can still feel the gravel through the tires
The rumbling of impending doom ahead
Every action occurred in slow motion
What the hell am I even looking for?

Past the door, mountains of nostalgia rise
Like garage sale gargoyles mocking me
Something isn’t right; I search for answers
and for him, how did I find my way through?

The second door awaits, this one leads in
Somehow I knew what I would find inside
He was my brother after all. I knew.
I opened it without hesitation

A notebook, pen parallel beside it
There was no reason to rush but I did
The blood drained from my face, yet I felt heat
As I read over a fucking goodbye

How did it start? Oh, how did it begin?
Has my brain begun to fail me so soon?
No. I know how it felt, I know it hurt
Suddenly, I fell. Afraid to get up

I must read on, through words burning my eyes
And staring though a hurricane of tears
“He was sad,” repeated. He was just sad
And at that moment I could do nothing

Our childhood was continuing to fade
As I held on to what I could, I broke.
I felt my own candle melting away
Yet I had to stay here, for now at least

I will remain and do what he could not;
Face this world alone. Don’t do it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment