Sunday, April 14, 2013

Masterpiece-By Katie Hedgepeth


Peering out the window, the bright sun looks

At me and blinds me while I sit in class.

Daydreaming in class, I slowly pick up

My pencil acting like I am being

Productive in class, pretending to draw.

 

Crossed legs, sitting up straight, I slowly reach

For my phone, trying to be as sneaky

As possible. Praying that my teacher

Doesn’t look at me I begin to text

Quickly, but all of the sudden I hear,

“Katie get going on your art project.”

 

As I slowly slip my phone into my

Bag, I pick up my graphite pencil and

Begin to draw the scenery that I

See out the window. Bright, big puffy clouds,

Stretched out across the horizon, big blue

Clouds like the first blanket a baby boy

Gets when he is born at the hospital.

Drawing a grassy field that is nearby,

Filling in the picture with a deep green

Pencil, the color of a Christmas tree.

Adding bright purple flowers on the crisp

Piece of paper which sits in front of me.

Imagination flowing, ideas

Coming and going as they enter my

Head. Ten minutes left in class, drawing as

Quickly as I can, hand moving in all

Directions. As the bell rings, I take a

Look at my portrait and take a deep breath,

Smiling. “Finally it’s a masterpiece.”
 
_________________________________________________________
 
Pencil-By Marianne Boruch
My drawing teacher said: Look, think, make a mark.
Look, I told myself.
And waited to be marked.

 
Clouds are white but they darken
with rain. Even a child blurs them back
to little woolies on a hillside, little
bundles without legs. Look, my teacher
would surely tell me, they’re nothing

 
like that. Like that: the lie. Like that: the poem.
She said: Respond to the heaviest part
of the figure first. Density is
form. That I keep hearing destiny

 
is not a mark of character. Like pilgrimage
once morphed to mirage in a noisy room, someone
so earnest at my ear. Then marriage slid.
Mir-aage, Mir-aage, I heard the famous poet let loose
awry into her microphone, triumphant.

 
The figure to be drawn —
not even half my age. She’s completely
emptied her face for this job of standing still an hour.
Look. Okay. But the little

 
dream in there, inside the think
that comes next. A pencil in my hand, its secret life
is charcoal, the wood already burnt,
a sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment