Saturday, April 13, 2013

Jump by: Nicole Busch


Jump
By: Nicole Busch

My riding teacher said: Look, think, and breathe.
Look, I told myself.  And took a deep breathe.

Clouds are white but they darken with some rain.
I wasn’t going to let that stop me,
or hold me back from succeeding, winning.
I was determined, like a hawk looking,
determined to catch their prey, or a bird
ready to succeed in flying so high.

Look, my teacher would surely tell me, they
represent willpower, purpose and drive.
She said: memorize the course jump by jump.
Each turn represents a change in your life.
Change is form.  I keep hearing change helps to
transform and is a mark of character.
Like pilgrimage once morphed to mirage in
a noisy room, someone so earnest at

my ear.  Think, my teacher proudly told me.
But not too much, for overthinking would
be a burden. Like having a big test
the day after getting slight to no sleep.
She said: make sure to go step by step, and
jump by jump; not the course as a complete.
It is important to think before you
act, even if its for a short while.
The little dream in there, inside the think
stage I am in.  Like an idea waiting to
burst out of the box, so curious of
the world outside, excited and willing.

So I gathered the reins in my hand, ready
to show my talents.  And I took a breath.

_________________________________________________________________________________



Pencil


My drawing teacher said: Look, think, make a mark.
Look, I told myself.
And waited to be marked.

Clouds are white but they darken
with rain. Even a child blurs them back
to little woolies on a hillside, little
bundles without legs. Look, my teacher
would surely tell me, they’re nothing

like that. Like that: the lie. Like that: the poem.
She said: Respond to the heaviest part
of the figure first. Density is
form. That I keep hearing destiny

is not a mark of character. Like pilgrimage
once morphed to mirage in a noisy room, someone
so earnest at my ear. Then marriage slid.
Mir-aage, Mir-aage, I heard the famous poet let loose
awry into her microphone, triumphant.

The figure to be drawn —
not even half my age. She’s completely
emptied her face for this job of standing still an hour.
Look. Okay. But the little

dream in there, inside the think
that comes next. A pencil in my hand, its secret life
is charcoal, the wood already burnt,
a sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment