Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Caluatate By: Mylinh Nguyen

Calucation By: Mylinh Nguyen

My math teacher  said: calculate, solve and check.
No idea what I was looking at,
nowhere to start, I thought. My mind lite up
until I forgot. What’s x,y,z raised
To the power of three, times square root nine?
My mind is turning into scramble eggs.

Whole numbers, mixed numbers and absolute,
exponents, integers and factoring
tress? Unknown terms, expressions and what’s the root?
It all sounds like foreign language to me. 10

I’m running out of time much too fast.
So I’ll talk about digits and my
reaction, while I work these fractions. 

Parentheses, exponents and then what?
multiplication, addition what’s next?
subtraction, that is the proper order
for solving  an unknown foreign language.

Multiplying fractions can be easy
there is no need to get all queasy.
It is best to quickly simplify, then
the denominators, remain the same
there is no need more anymore change. 

Now add them to the top of the list but
that’s no reason to stop. Multiply two
positives they remain, negatives
and mixed signs spoils the big yummy batch.

I wish that I could remember more, but
that’s as far as I have gotten, times up
Oh no no! I forgot to check once more.
I must go now, but I feel so rotten.

__________________________________________
 Pencil BY MARIANNE BORUCH

My drawing teacher said: Lookthinkmake a mark.
Look, I told myself.
And waited to be marked.

Clouds are white but they darken
with rain. Even a child blurs them back
to little woolies on a hillside, little
bundles without legs. Look, my teacher
would surely tell me, they’re nothing

like that. Like that: the lie. Like that: the poem.
She said: Respond to the heaviest part
of the figure first. Density is
form. That I keep hearing destiny

is not a mark of character. Like pilgrimage
once morphed to mirage in a noisy room, someone
so earnest at my ear. Then marriage slid.
Mir-aageMir-aage, I heard the famous poet let loose
awry into her microphone, triumphant.

The figure to be drawn —
not even half my age. She’s completely
emptied her face for this job of standing still an hour.
Look. Okay. But the little

dream in there, inside the think
that comes next. A pencil in my hand, its secret life
is charcoal, the wood already burnt,
a sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment